Computer Basics for the Workplace Level I
Computer Basics for the Workplace Level I is a one-month part-time course geared towards individuals with little or no computer skills. This course is designed for individuals who are seeking employment and who are lacking basic computer skills. This course will teach individuals simple tasks of how to use the mouse, change and manipulate windows, open, close, save, and print documents. It will gradually introduce individuals to keyboarding, as well as how to proofread and edit their work. Participants will be introduced to skills in the Microsoft Office Suite, allowing them to create simple documents in Word, basic spreadsheets in Excel, and a simple presentation in PowerPoint. Each participant will produce their own resume at the end of this course. Finally, this course will teach individuals how to do research on the Internet and how to maximize this resource in their job search. Individuals will be also taught how to set up their own email account and mange it as a useful communication tool with their prospective employers. The program will be tailored to the needs of each individual client, allowing them to get the most out of the course.
Computer Basics for the Workplace Level II
Computer Basics for the Workplace Level II is a one-month part-time course geared towards individuals with some basic computer skills. If candidates have used computers in the workplace or to do basic tasks at home, this may be the course for them. In this course, the candidates continue to expand their knowledge of the computer realm. This is, again, generally conducted through the Microsoft Office Suite but creates a deeper understanding of the programs. In Word, the candidates will learn about intermediate and advanced functions; in Excel, they will learn deeper functions and ways of presenting data; in PowerPoint, they are able to create elaborate presentations to expand their horizons and comfort on the computer. Candidates will also be given the opportunity to move into more challenging areas if they feel comfortable, sometimes looking at programs that fit with their personal interests or their future career goals. Again, the focus is on smoothing the candidates’ transfer into a technological workplace.
Computer Basics for the Workplace Level III
When working in Microsoft Word, there are times when the project moves beyond the basics that are covered in our first two levels. This is usually when someone is working with major essays, reports, other long documents, or pamphlets/handouts. In Level III, our students will become more capable in these areas, being put in a situation in which they need to work with long documents.
The program will begin with a substantial review of the more complex portions of what was covered in the first two levels. This will include:
- Working with visuals such as pictures, screenshots, shapes and text boxes.
- Altering the appearance of the document by varying margins, indents, and tabs in different sections of a document
- They will also be expected to work with cover pages, page borders, headers, and footers at this stage.
After completing this review, students will be expected to work with a long document to create the aspects of an effective report, but depending on the focus desired by the client, essays could also be used.
Areas of focus would include:
- Applying styles to a whole document/section
- Creating a table of contents/works cited/table of figures
- Creating internal hyperlinks
- Creating footnotes
- Tracking changes, making/responding to comments
- Proofing/inspecting/printing the final document
- Creating PDF versions and printing to the Web
Microsoft Outlook Fundamentals
Outlook is a key component of office life for most people. In it, the user is able to send and receive emails (including opening and attaching emails and dealing with junk mail), organize their work lives using the calendar function, and create and maintain contact lists.
In our 1 week course, the students will learn these key skills:
- Setting up Outlook
- Creating a contacts list
- Inputting contacts
- Removing contacts
- Creating mailing lists
- Writing emails
- Structure (To, CC/BCC, Subject, Message)
- Effective Subject lines
- Effective email structure (Greeting, Body, Signature)
- Creating attachments (via attachment or directly from Office documents)
- Reply, Forward, Reply All functions.
- Calendar functions:
- Creating/Deleting events
- Creating invitations to appointments
- Rescheduling events/appointments
- Miscellaneous areas
- Creating folders for organization
- Setting up signatures
Students will become comfortable using Outlook so that, when they begin working with it in an office setting, they will be able to hit the ground running.
One-handed typing is a one-week part time course geared towards individuals with an arm or hand injury. This course is designed for individuals who cannot use both hands to type and will teach individuals how to type using only one hand, using a simple yet effective method. This method allows individuals who have lost the use of one of their arms or hands to type using only their good hand on a normal keyboard. Students will produce one written assignment typed using only one hand by the end of this course.
Voice Recognition Technology Course
This course is two weeks long and is offered on a part-time basis (12 hrs of instruction per week). It introduces clients to a speech recognition program called Dragon. Clients learn how to use their computer hands-free and apply speech-to-text technology. They learn how to use their voice to dictate and format text, open and close programs and windows, as well as interact with their email. At the end of the course clients will be able to improve their productivity by correcting misspellings and grammar, all without having to touch their mouse or keyboard.
Advanced Excel Program
Advanced Excel program is a four-week part time course geared towards individuals with intermediate computer skills. In this course, the individuals will be introduced to the following skills:
- Create and manage worksheets and workbooks (navigate, format and customize worksheets and workbooks)
- Apply formulas and functions (utilize cell ranges, summarize data with functions, utilize conditional logic in functions, format and modify text with functions)
- Create advanced charts, objects and charts (formatting, adding legends, modifying charts and graphs parameters, applying chart layouts and styles, positioning charts and graphs, create and manage PivotTables)
- Apply custom formats and layouts (apply advanced conditional formatting and filtering, prepare a workbook for internationalization and accessibility)
- Create and manage multiple workbooks
- Apply custom formats and layouts
- Create advanced formulas (utilize IF function in conjunction with other functions, utilize AND/OR functions, nested functions, utilize SUMIFS, AVERAGEIFS and COUNTIFS functions)
Introduction to Website Development Basic Level
Introduction to Website Development Basic Level is a four-week part time course that offers 48h of instruction. Participants will learn the basics of how the internet functions including HTML 5, tags and DOM as well as css3 (classes, id’s and floats). Participants will become familiar with differences between hosted and self-hosted Wordpress basics. As a result, participants will be able to create a simple website, create a simple HTML and css website and learn to upload it online. Participants will be able to use Wordpress for simple website creation.
Introduction to Website Development Intermediate Level
Introduction to Website Development Intermediate Level is a four-week part course that offers 48h of instruction that follows right after the basic level course. Participants will learn advanced css3 features including flexbox, css frameworks, and animation. Participants will become familiar with differences between static and dynamic websites including the difference between front-end and back-end languages. As a result, participants will be able to use more advanced Wordpress features such as plugins and customize themes. Participants will be able to create animations and customize the styling of their websites, add/alter advanced functionality and embed videos and maps as well as photo galleries. Participants will be introduced to eCommerce features such as WooCommerce and PayPal functions.